Thursday, May 1, 2008

How Video Ads Will Change Google Forever

This article discusses how Google is operating a test program that allows certain AdWord advertisers to post video clips with their ads. As of right now, AdWord adverisers must limit their advertisement message to 70 characters. The new video advertisement feature might also change the current cost-per-click payment struture.

I have a Google AdWords account for my business, Baja Tan. It has been a great tool to advertise my business service. You determine the search words you would like your ad to display on after a search. You can ad hundreds of different combinations of words if you like, I chose about 20. Then you set your monthly budget amount and maximum bid amount. You only pay for the impression if a web searcher clicks on your ad. You may log on anytime to view the ad campaign's performance. It records the number of impressions and clicks for each keyword along with the total charge.

Screenshot of my AdWords Campaign:


I think that video would be a nice addition to this service. Yellowpages.com already offers this video advertising service. You pay a monthly fee each month instead of using cost-per-click pricing. It is a directory service, not a search engine. My yellowpages.com ad rep asked if I would like to place a video along my ad and I declined because of the high pricing. Here is a link to my ad on Yellowpages.com, the video would be positioned to the right of the ad.

http://www.yellowpages.com/name/Milwaukee-WI/baja-tan?search_mode=all&search_terms=baja+tan

The photo and link below is a sample provided to me by my sales rep, Ocean Mystique Ink Gallery.


http://www.yellowpages.com/name/VA/ocean-mystique?search_mode=all&search_terms=ocean+mystique+

I also have an account with Yahoo Marketing Solutions. It's not as effective as Google AdWords. However, the same features are included; cost-per-click pricing, display ad, reports, budget and bid setting. Below is a screenshot from my Yahoo account.


I will utilize Google's video feature if it becomes available to everyone because I would be able to set a reasonable budget and pay per click. It's difficult to fit your ad within the 70 character limit and a picture is worth a thousand words. I look forward to this new tool by Google.

Danny Sullivan (2008, February). How video ads will change Google's AdWords forever. Advertising Age, 79(8), 22. Retrieved May 2, 2008, from ABI/INFORM Global database.

2 comments:

Sonya Zhang said...

Hi Matt, it seems that you've put a lot of technical thoughts into your personal business :)

p.s., why the location at the yellowpage.com shows Milwaukee Michigan instead of California, or is your store a franchise? what is the url of the web site for your store?

Matt Kohler said...

Hi Sonya,

Yes, I'm always trying to keep up with the latest technology that could improve my business.

The business is located just north of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I am orginally from WI and moved to CA about 3 years ago. The salon is not a franchise, although I might franchise it someday! I'm actually back in WI right now taking care of some maintenance and having a meeting with all the employees. The website's url is www.baja-tan.com